Friday, September 30, 2011

Catch up

Yesterday we shopped. To a woman, shopping does not mean buying. So, we did lots of shopping and not so much buying. The range of choice on one street in Stockholm is mind boggling to me!
Later we went to see Robert Mapplethorpe's exhibition at the Photographic Museum. He trained as a sculptor, but became famous photographing New York's S and M scene in the 70s. He died with AIDS in 1989.
He said he simply photographed what he wished he could sculpt, nothing less and nothing more. He did not understand why his photos of flowers and fruit should be seen in one way and his less conservative photos in another. He said he did not like the word shocking.
I can't say I quite agree. The view of Stockholm at dusk as we left the museum was breath taking. While a picture of a dead animal maybe be beautiful too, I don't think it can be viewed in the same way as a picture of a beautiful city!
We then went for supper at a Vietnamese restaurant. A Vietnamese menu in Swedish is rather challenging for an English speaker. It was also challenging for a Swede trying to translate it into English!
Later some of Anna's friends met us and we had drinks at Stockholm's sky bar, which meant more amazing views.
Today we drove to the island of Vätö where Anna and her brother own a little cottage in the woods.

When you arrive, the most striking thing is the quiet. We had a big lunch on the porch and then all I wanted to do was fall asleep in the sun. But Anna is like an Energizer bunny. While I lazed around, she prepared the pickling for the herring which we plan to eat tomorrow. She also made us espressos and warmed up some cinammon and blue berry buns she had baked.

After coffee, the couch in the lounge looked very inviting to me, the most activity I felt capable of was typing. But Anna was outside calling: Amanda, come outside and enjoy the beautiful weather!
I was thinking: I'll have plenty beautiful weather when I get back to SA!
Eventually I got my butt off the couch and came to sit outside on the porch. I thought it would be alright to watch Anna, she had decided to rake leaves.
She then began to tell me that raking leaves was good for the soul. I remember being made to rake leaves as part of my chores as a child. I don't remember it doing anything for my soul. I told Anna that I thought that the cheap labour we have in South Africa is good enough for my soul.

She decided to try a different tactic and said it was good physical activity, good exercise for the arms. Eventually I agreed to try it.
She had me raking leaves and even pushing wheel barrows!!! I think it may have been part of her plan all along, getting me to fly out in autumn when they have the most leaves to rake up!
And here I thought I had a good deal with my accommodation: an apartment within walking distance of central Stockholm, with a weekend away in the countryside included in the package!

After all that I have to say my initial judgement was correct. Blogging does more for my soul than raking leaves!
Later Anna's friends will join us at the cottage, I hope they're impressed by how few leaves are on the lawn.
Tomorrow we're having a crayfish party, which is a big Swedish tradition, with lots of snaps (pronounced schnapps) to drink. At a crayfish party you also have to wear party hats and bibs. I cannot wait! Will try to take pictures before drinking too much snaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment