Friday, October 7, 2011

One Last Word on Belgium



In case you still don't believe me about Belgium being very interesting, let me tell you one last thing that they don't advertise: prostitution is legal in Belgium. I didn't find this fact in my guide book!
There's all this hype about Amsterdam's red light district; well, in Belgium, even a small city like Gent has it's own red light district. Koen took me to have a look, so interesting! Apparently Antwerp and Brussels have red light districts as well. I'm not sure about the smaller towns.
The ladies display themselves in the windows: goods on sale in a shop. And you can get all shapes, sizes and colours. Some ladies sit alone, some sit with their coworkers. Some sit chewing gum. Some chat on their cell phones. Some windows just had an empty chair in them, I assume the lady had a customer.
I was so intrigued I wanted to stare at them, it's one thing hearing about it, but it's a totally different story actually seeing it. I really wish I could've taken a picture of the ladies, but the picture above is the best I could do. It shows the alley leading into Gent's red light district. If you can enlarge the picture you'll see that the building in the centre has the silhouette of a naked lady on it, and the building to the right is called "Le Pink Bar."


So, instead of going to Amsterdam for prostitutes and then to France for beautiful ancient architecture, just do it all in Belgium, where you can also drink the world's best beer and eat the world's best chocolate and maybe even dabble a bit in diamond trade if you like.
Who knew you could pack so much into such a little country?!


Sitting at Doha airport now, 02h37 Doha time but I can't sleep. 4 hours to go til I can board the plane home. I have my fingers crossed that I make it in time for Coldplay in JHB! What a way to end an amazing holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment